for Health Care Providers
HIV Infected Veterans in VHA Care in 2013 with VHA Outpatient Prescriptions for HIV Antiviral Medications in 2013, and/or Ever had a Clinical AIDS OI for the Nation and by State
To assist with organization reporting to the Health Resources and Services Administration's HIV/AIDS Bureau (HRSA/HAB), this report provides selected metrics for HIV Infected Veterans who receive VA care tabulated by the state associated with the VA facilities providing the care. Summary data at the national level is also reported.
This report describes the number of HIV Infected Veterans in VHA care in 2013 who filled a VHA outpatient prescription for a HIV antiviral medication (ARV) during the target calendar year and/or who ever had Clinical AIDS based on an AIDS-defining opportunistic infection (OI) prior to or during the target calendar year. Veterans are counted once in each State where they received care and once in the national summary regardless of how many facilities/States in which they received care.
For more information on data and methods see the Notes at the end of this report.
|Number in Care||Number with ARVs||Percent with ARVs||Number with AIDS OI Ever||Percent with AIDS OI Ever||Number with ARVs and AIDS OI||Percent with ARVs and AIDS OI|
|State/Territory*||Number in Care||Number with ARVs||Percent with ARVs||Number with AIDS OI Ever||Percent with AIDS OI Ever||Number with ARVs and AIDS OI||Percent with ARVs and AIDS OI|
- A Veteran who meets the following criteria is included in this report:
- Had been selected for the Clinical Case Registry (CCR) as HIV infected
- Had laboratory evidence or a combination of laboratory and outpatient prescription evidence of HIV infection
- Was in VHA care during the target calendar year, defined as a record in the CCR of an outpatient visit during that year, outpatient prescription filled during that year, or inpatient stay occurring at least partially during that year.
- State/Possession is based on substation number for the VHA facility providing outpatient care to the Veteran during the target calendar year. A Veteran will be counted once at each state or possession where he or she received care, even if multiple facilities in a state provided care. A Veteran will be counted only once in the national data regardless of how many facilities or states in which care was received.
- A Veteran is identified as receiving VHA HIV antiviral medications (ARVs) if he or she had at least one record in the CCR for an outpatient prescription for a FDA approved HIV antiretroviral with a fill date during the target year. A Veteran will be counted only once per state for ARVs received during the target year, even if ARVs were provided at multiple locations in the state. A Veteran who filled an outpatient prescription for an ARV is reported in each state where he or she was in care in the target year regardless of where the outpatient prescription was filled.
- A Veteran is identified as ever having a VHA diagnosis of an AIDS OI as of the target calendar year if he or she has (1) the CCR Clinical AIDS indicator with a date prior to or during the target year, (2) an inpatient diagnosis code with a discharge date prior to or during the target year, (3) a problem list code with an entry date prior to or during the target year or (4) one outpatient diagnosis code prior to or during the year with a second outpatient code or inpatient diagnosis code or problem list code on a later date.
- The conditions used to define AIDS OIs are included in the Center for Disease Control (CDC) definition of AIDs-defining conditions but are defined based on ICD-9 codes exclusively. Due to this reliance on ICD-9 codes, some CDC AIDS-defining conditions that consider factors other than diagnosis (e.g. recurrence, duration and clinical observation) are not considered here.
- Electronic information on inpatient diagnoses is available from 1990 and on outpatient diagnoses from October 1996.
- Report Rpt87, version 1.0, prepared by Population Health Group Staff using data extracted from CCR Snapshot CCRCLEAN_01_14 on 03/05/2014-09:08.