for Veterans and the Public
How can I maintain my appetite?
When you become ill, you often lose your appetite. This can lead to weight loss, which can make it harder for your body to fight infection.
Here are some tips for increasing your appetite:
- Try a little exercise, like walking or doing yoga. This can often stimulate your appetite and make you feel like eating more.
- Eat smaller meals more often. For instance, try to snack between meals.
- Eat whenever your appetite is good.
- Avoid drinking too much right before or during meals. This can make you feel full.
- Avoid carbonated (fizzy) drinks and foods such as cabbage, broccoli, and beans. These foods and drinks can create gas in your stomach and make you feel full and bloated.
- Eat with your family or friends.
- Choose your favorite foods, and make meals as attractive to you as possible. Try to eat in a pleasant location.