Selected Journal Articles on HIV
- Medical intensive care unit admission among patients with and without HIV, hepatitis C virus, and alcohol-related diagnoses in the United States: a national, retrospective cohort study, 1997-2014.
Rentsch CT, Tate JP, Steel T, et al. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2018 Oct 29. [Epub ahead of print]
- Prevalence of HIV, HCV and HBV among homeless and non-homeless United States Veterans.
Noska AJ, Belperio PS, Loomis TP, et al. Clin Infect Dis. 2017 July 15;65(2):252-8.
Prevention and Transmission
- Brief Report: Incidence of HIV in a Nationwide Cohort Receiving Pre-exposure Prophylaxis for HIV Prevention
Van Epps P, Wilson BM, Garner W, et al. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2019 Dec 15;82(5):427-430.
- Roadblocks to PrEP: What Medical Records Reveal About Access to HIV Pre-exposure Prophylaxis
Skolnik AA, Bokhour BG, Gifford AL, et al. J Gen Intern Med. 2019 Nov 8.
- Health Care Facility Characteristics are Associated with Variation in Human Immunodeficiency Virus Pre-exposure Prophylaxis Initiation in Veteran's Health Administration
Maier MM, Gylys-Colwell I, Lowy E, Van Epps P, et al. AIDS Behav. 2019 Jul;23(7):1803-1811.
- Medication adherence in a nationwide cohort of Veterans initiating pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) to prevent HIV infection
Van Epps P, Maier M, Lund B, et al. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2018 Mar 1;77(3):272-8.
- Accessibility and uptake of pre-exposure prophylaxis for HIV prevention in the VHA
Chartier M, Gylys-Cowell I, van Epps P, et al. Fed Pract. 2018 March;35(2):S42-S48.
- How will new guidelines affect CD4 testing in Veterans with HIV?
Barnett PG, Schmitt SK, Yu W, et al. Clin Infect Dis. 2016 Apr 3. pii: ciw194. [Epub ahead of print].
- Veterans' perspectives on interventions to improve retention in HIV care.
Minick SG, Stafford CL, Kertz BL, et al. PLoS One. 2016 Feb 1;11(2):e0148163.
- Correction: Veterans' perspectives on interventions to improve retention in HIV care.
Minick SG, Stafford CL, Kertz BL, et al. PLoS One. 2016 Mar 3;11(3):e0151011.
- HIV care continuum applied to the US Department of Veterans Affairs: HIV virologic outcomes in an integrated health care system
Backus L, Czarnogorski M, Yip G, et al. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2015 Aug 1;69(4):474-80.
- The continuum of HIV care in a Veterans' Affairs clinic
Mangal JP, Rimland D, Marconi VC. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2014 May;30(5):409-15.
- National quality forum performance measures for HIV/AIDS care: The Department of Veterans Affairs' experience
Backus LI, Boothroyd DB, et al. Arch Intern Med. 2010;170(14):1239-1246.
- Impact of cigarette smoking on mortality in HIV-positive and HIV-negative veterans
Crothers K, Goulet J, Rodriguez-Barradas M, et al. AIDS Educ Prev. 2009 June; 21(3 Suppl): 40-53.
- Improved discrimination of mortality with Veterans Aging Cohort Study (VACS) Index 2.0 in HIV-positive individuals.
Tate JP, Sterne JAC, Justice AC, et al. AIDS. 2019 Jan 14. [Epub ahead of print]
- Cardiovascular outcomes among HIV-infected veterans receiving atazanavir: a US national historical cohort study.
Lafleur J, Bress AP, Rosenblatt L, et al. AIDS. 2017 Jul 7. [Epub ahead of print]
- Immunological and infectious risk factors for lung cancer in U.S. veterans with HIV: a longitudinal cohort study.
Sigel K, Wisnivesky J, Crothers K, et al. Lancet HIV. 2017 Feb;4(2):e67-e73.
- Weight gain and incident diabetes among HIV-infected Veterans initiating antiretroviral therapy compared with uninfected individuals.
Herrin M, Tate JP, Akgün, et al. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2016 Oct 1;73(2):228-36.
- The Veterans Aging Cohort Study (VACS) Index and neurocognitive change: A longitudinal study.
Marquine MJ, Montoya JL, Umlauf A, et al; HIV Neurobehavioral Research Program Group. Clin Infect Dis. 2016 Sep 1;63(5):694-702.
- Disparities in hepatitis C testing in U.S. Veterans born 1945-1965.
Sarkar S, Esserman DA, Skanderson M, et al. J Hepatol. 2016 Aug;65(2):259-65.
- Cascade of care for hepatitis C virus infection within the US Veterans Health Administration.
Maier MM, Ross DB, Chartier M, et al. Am J Public Health. 2016 Feb;106(2):353-8.
- Time trends in cancer incidence in persons living with HIV/AIDS in the antiretroviral therapy era: 1997-2012.
Park LS, Tate JP, Sigel K, et al. AIDS. 2016 Apr 8. [Epub ahead of print].
- Comparison of risk and age at diagnosis of myocardial infarction, end-stage renal disease, and non-AIDS-defining cancer in HIV-infected versus uninfected adults
Althoff KN, McGinnis KA, Wyatt CM, et al; Veterans Aging Cohort Study (VACS). Clin Infect Dis. 2015 Feb 15;60(4):627-38.
- A chronic kidney disease risk score to determine tenofovir safety in a prospective cohort of HIV-positive male veterans
Scherzer R, Gandhi M, Estrella MM, et al. AIDS. 2014 Jun 1;28(9):1289-95.