Selected Journal Articles on HIV/AIDS
- Prevalence of HIV, HCV and HBV among homeless and non-homeless United States Veterans.
Noska AJ, Belperio PS, Loomis TP, et al. Clin Infect Dis. 2017 July 15;65(2):252-8.
- Barriers to universal prescribing of antiretroviral therapy by HIV care providers in the United States, 2013-2014.
Weiser J, Brooks J, Skarbinski J, et al. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2017 Apr 15;74(5):479-487.
- Closing the gap in antiretroviral initiation and viral suppression: time trends and racial disparities.
Haines CF, Fleishman JA, Yehia BR, et al. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2016 Nov 1;73(3):340-347.
- Qualifications, demographics, satisfaction, and future capacity of the HIV care provider workforce in the United States, 2013-2014.
Weiser J, Beer L, West BT, et al. Clin Infect Dis. 2016 Oct 1;63(7):966-75.
- Increased antiretroviral therapy prescription and HIV viral suppression among persons receiving clinical care for HIV infection.
Bradley H, Mattson CL, Beer L, et al; Medical Monitoring Project. AIDS. 2016 Aug 24;30(13):2117-24.
- HIV infection linked to injection use of oxymorphone in Indiana, 2014-2015.
Peters PJ, Pontones P, Hoover KW, et al; Indiana HIV Outbreak Investigation Team. N Engl J Med. 2016 Jul 21;375(3):229-39.
- Diagnoses of HIV Infection in the United States and Dependent Areas, 2013
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. HIV Surveillance Report, 2013; vol. 25. Published February 2015.
- Medicine and the epidemic of incarceration in the United States
Rich JD, Wakeman SE, Dickman SL. N Engl J Med. 2011 Jun 2;364(22):2081-3.
Prevention and Transmission
- Antiretroviral therapy for the prevention of HIV-1 transmission.
Cohen MS, Chen YQ, McCauley M, et al; HPTN 052 Study Team. N Engl J Med. 2016 Sep 1;375(9):830-9.
- Sexual activity without condoms and risk of HIV transmission in serodifferent couples when the HIV-positive partner is using suppressive antiretroviral therapy.
Rodger AJ, Cambiano V, Bruun T, et al; PARTNER Study Group. JAMA. 2016 Jul 12;316(2):171-81.
- HIV transmission risk persists during the first 6 months of antiretroviral therapy.
Mujugira A, Celum C, Coombs RW, et al; Partners PrEP Study Team. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2016 Apr 6. [Epub ahead of print].
- Pre-exposure prophylaxis to prevent the acquisition of HIV-1 infection (PROUD): effectiveness results from the pilot phase of a pragmatic open-label randomised trial.
McCormack S, Dunn DT, Desai M, et al. Lancet. 2016 Jan 2;387(10013):53-60.
- Vital Signs: Estimated Percentages and Numbers of Adults with Indications for Preexposure Prophylaxis to Prevent HIV Acquisition - United States, 2015.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2015 Nov 27;64(46):1291-5.
- On-demand preexposure prophylaxis in men at high risk for HIV-1 infection
Molina JM, Capitant C, Spire B, et al; ANRS IPERGAY Study Group. N Engl J Med. 2015 Dec 3;373(23):2237-46.
- No new HIV infections with increasing use of HIV preexposure prophylaxis in a clinical practice setting
Volk JE, Marcus JL, Phengrasamy T, et al. Clin Infect Dis. 2015 Mar 1;60(5):804-10. Clin Infect Dis. 2015 Nov 15;61(10):1601-3.
- Dose response for starting and stopping HIV preexposure prophylaxis for men who have sex with men
Seifert SM, Glidden DV, Meditz AL, et al. Clin Infect Dis. 2015 Mar 1;60(5):804-10. Clin Infect Dis. 2015 Mar 1;60(5):804-10.
- Drug resistance and plasma viral RNA level after ineffective use of oral pre-exposure prophylaxis in women
Grant RM, Liegler T, Defechereux P, et al. AIDS. 2014 Dec 9. [Epub ahead of print]
- HIV-1 drug resistance in the iPrEx preexposure prophylaxis trial
Liegler T, Abdel-Mohsen M, Bentley LG, et al; iPrEx Study Team. J Infect Dis. 2014 Oct 15;210(8):1217-27.
- Recommendations for HIV Prevention with Adults and Adolescents with HIV in the United States, 2014
Project Workgroup for the 2014 Recommendations for HIV Prevention with Adults and Adolescents with HIV in the United States; December 11, 2014.
- Preexposure Prophylaxis for the Prevention of HIV Infection in the United States-2014: A Clinical Practice Guideline
U.S. Public Health Service, May 14, 2014.
- Prevention of HIV-1 infection with early antiretroviral therapy
Cohen MS, Chen YQ, McCauley M, et al; HPTN 052 Study Team. N Engl J Med. 2011 Aug 11;365(6):493-505.
- Low rates of mother-to-child transmission of HIV following effective pregnancy interventions in the United Kingdom and Ireland, 2000-2006.
Townsend CL, Cortina-Borja M, Peckham CS, et al. AIDS. 2008 May 11;22(8):973-81.
- Sensitivity of HIV rapid tests compared with fourth-generation enzyme immunoassays or HIV RNA tests.
Tan WS, Chow EP, Fairley CK, et al. AIDS. 2016 Jul 31;30(12):1951-60.
- Rates and predictors of newly diagnosed HIV infection among veterans receiving routine once-per-lifetime HIV testing in the Veterans Health Administration
Goetz MB, Hoang T, Kan VL, et al. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2015 Aug 15;69(5):544-50.
- Prevalence of diagnosed and undiagnosed HIV infection--United States, 2008-2012.
Hall HI, An Q, Tang T, et al; Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2015 Jun 26;64(24):657-62.
- Laboratory testing for the diagnosis of HIV infection: updated recommendations
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Association of Public Health Laboratories. Published June 27, 2014.
- Rapid oral fluid testing for HIV in veterans with mental health diagnoses and residing in community-assisted living facilities
Jackson-Malik P, McLaughlin MJ, O'Hara KT, et al. J of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care. 2011 March-April;22(2):81-89.
- A budget impact analysis of rapid human immunodeficiency virus screening in Veterans Administration emergency departments
Gidwani R, Goetz MB, Kominski G, et al. J Emerg Med. 2011 Jan 27.
- Need to improve routine HIV testing of U.S. Veterans in care: results of an Internet survey
Valdiserri RO, Nazi K, McInnes DK, et al. J Community Health. 2010 Jun;35(3):215-9.
- A provider participatory implementation model for HIV testing in an ED
Chen JC, Goetz MB, Feld JE, et al. Am J Emerg Med. 2010 Apr 1.
- Revised recommendations for HIV testing of adults, adolescents, and pregnant women in health-care settings.
Branson BM, Handsfield HH, Lampe MA, et al; Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). MMWR Recomm Rep. 2006 Sep 22;55(RR-14):1-17; quiz CE1-4.
- Improved quality of life with immediate versus deferred initiation of antiretroviral therapy in early asymptomatic HIV infection.
Lifson AR, Grund B, Gardner EM, et al. AIDS. 2017 Apr 24;31(7):953-963.
- HIV DNA set point is rapidly established in acute HIV infection and dramatically reduced by early ART.
Ananworanich J, Chomont N, Eller LA, et al; RV217 and RV254/SEARCH010 study groups. EBioMedicine. 2016 Jul 20. [Epub ahead of print]
- The effect of same-day observed initiation of antiretroviral therapy on HIV viral load and treatment outcomes in a U.S. public health setting.
Pilcher CD, Ospina-Norvell C, Dasgupta A, et al. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2016 Jul 16. [Epub ahead of print]
- Antiretroviral therapy for the prevention of HIV-1 transmission.
Cohen MS, Chen YQ, McCauley M, et al; HPTN 052 Study Team. N Engl J Med. 2016 Sep;375(9):830-9.
- Antiretroviral drugs for treatment and prevention of HIV infection in adults: 2016 recommendations of the International Antiviral Society--USA Panel.
Gunthard HF, Saag MS, Benson CA, et al. JAMA. 2016 Jul 12;316(2):191-210.
- Impact of early initiation of antiretroviral therapy in patients with acute HIV infection in Vienna, Austria.
Herout S, Mandorfer M, Breitenecker F, et al. PLoS One. 2016 Apr 11;11(4):e0152910.
- Initiation of antiretroviral therapy in early asymptomatic HIV infection
INSIGHT START Study Group, Lundgren JD, Babiker AG, et al. N Engl J Med. 2015 Aug 27;373(9):795-807.
- A Trial of early antiretrovirals and isoniazid preventive therapy in Africa
TEMPRANO ANRS 12136 Study Group, Danel C, Moh R, et al. N Engl J Med. 2015 Aug 27;373(9):808-22.
- Effects of early versus delayed initiation of antiretroviral treatment on clinical outcomes of HIV-1 infection: results from the phase 3 HPTN 052 randomised controlled trial
Grinsztejn B, Hosseinipour MC, Ribaudo HJ, et al; HPTN 052-ACTG Study Team. Lancet Infect Dis. 2014 Apr;14(4):281-90.
- Enhanced CD4+ T-cell recovery with earlier HIV-1 antiretroviral therapy
Le T, Wright EJ, Smith DM, et al. N Engl J Med. 368;3 2013 Jan 17.
- Effect of early versus deferred antiretroviral therapy for HIV on survival. N Engl J Med. Apr 30 2009;360(18):1815-1826.
Kitahata MM, Gange SJ, Abraham AG, et al.
- Effect of patient navigation with or without financial incentives on viral suppression among hospitalized patients with HIV infection and substance use: a randomized clinical trial.
Metsch LR, Feaster DJ, Gooden L, et al. 2016 Jul 12;316(2):156-70.
- How will new guidelines affect CD4 testing in Veterans with HIV?
Barnett PG, Schmitt SK, Yu W, et al. Clin Infect Dis. 2016 Apr 3. pii: ciw194. [Epub ahead of print].
- Veterans' perspectives on interventions to improve retention in HIV care.
Minick SG, Stafford CL, Kertz BL, et al. PLoS One. 2016 Feb 1;11(2):e0148163.
- Correction: Veterans' perspectives on interventions to improve retention in HIV care.
Minick SG, Stafford CL, Kertz BL, et al. PLoS One. 2016 Mar 3;11(3):e0151011.
- HIV care continuum applied to the US Department of Veterans Affairs: HIV virologic outcomes in an integrated health care system
Backus L, Czarnogorski M, Yip G, et al. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2015 Aug 1;69(4):474-80.
- The continuum of HIV care in a Veterans' Affairs clinic
Mangal JP, Rimland D, Marconi VC. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2014 May;30(5):409-15.
- The spectrum of engagement in HIV care and its relevance to test-and-treat strategies for prevention of HIV infection
Gardner EM, McLees MP, Steiner JF, et al. Clin Infect Dis. 2011 Mar 15;52(6):793-800.
- National quality forum performance measures for HIV/AIDS care: The Department of Veterans Affairs' experience
Backus LI, Boothroyd DB, et al. Arch Intern Med. 2010;170(14):1239-1246.
- Impact of cigarette smoking on mortality in HIV-positive and HIV-negative veterans
Crothers K, Goulet J, Rodriguez-Barradas M, et al. AIDS Educ Prev. 2009 June; 21(3 Suppl): 40-53.
- Cardiovascular outcomes among HIV-infected veterans receiving atazanavir: a US national historical cohort study.
Lafleur J, Bress AP, Rosenblatt L, et al. AIDS. 2017 Jul 7. [Epub ahead of print]
- Risk of colorectal cancer and associated mortality in HIV: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
O'Neill TJ, Djiometio Nguemo J, et al. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2017 May 1. [Epub ahead of print]
- Immunological and infectious risk factors for lung cancer in U.S. veterans with HIV: a longitudinal cohort study.
Sigel K, Wisnivesky J, Crothers K, et al. Lancet HIV. 2017 Feb;4(2):e67-e73.
- Weight gain and incident diabetes among HIV-infected Veterans initiating antiretroviral therapy compared with uninfected individuals.
Herrin M, Tate JP, Akgün, et al. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2016 Oct 1;73(2):228-36.
- The Veterans Aging Cohort Study (VACS) Index and neurocognitive change: A longitudinal study.
Marquine MJ, Montoya JL, Umlauf A, et al; HIV Neurobehavioral Research Program Group. Clin Infect Dis. 2016 Sep 1;63(5):694-702.
- Disparities in hepatitis C testing in U.S. Veterans born 1945-1965.
Sarkar S, Esserman DA, Skanderson M, et al. J Hepatol. 2016 Aug;65(2):259-65.
- Cascade of care for hepatitis C virus infection within the US Veterans Health Administration.
Maier MM, Ross DB, Chartier M, et al. Am J Public Health. 2016 Feb;106(2):353-8.
- Time trends in cancer incidence in persons living with HIV/AIDS in the antiretroviral therapy era: 1997-2012.
Park LS, Tate JP, Sigel K, et al. AIDS. 2016 Apr 8. [Epub ahead of print].
- HIV infection, cardiovascular disease risk factor profile, and risk for acute myocardial infarction
Paisible AL, Chang CC, So-Armah KA, et al. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2015 Feb 1;68(2):209-16.
- Comparison of risk and age at diagnosis of myocardial infarction, end-stage renal disease, and non-AIDS-defining cancer in HIV-infected versus uninfected adults
Althoff KN, McGinnis KA, Wyatt CM, et al; Veterans Aging Cohort Study (VACS). Clin Infect Dis. 2015 Feb 15;60(4):627-38.
- End-stage renal disease among HIV-infected adults in North America
Abraham AG, Althoff KN, Jing Y, et al; North American AIDS Cohort Collaboration on Research and Design (NA-ACCORD) of the International Epidemiologic Databases to Evaluate AIDS (IeDEA). Clin Infect Dis. 2015 Feb 15;60(4):627-38.
- A chronic kidney disease risk score to determine tenofovir safety in a prospective cohort of HIV-positive male veterans
Scherzer R, Gandhi M, Estrella MM, et al. AIDS. 2014 Jun 1;28(9):1289-95.
- Bone disease in HIV infection: a practical review and recommendations for HIV care providers
McComsey GA, Tebas P, Shane E, et al. Clin Infect Dis. 2010 Oct 15;51(8):937-46.
- Factors associated with specific causes of death amongst HIV-positive individuals in the D:A:D Study.
Data Collection on Adverse Events of Anti-HIV drugs (D:A:D) Study Group, Smith C, Sabin CA, et al. AIDS. 2010 Jun 19;24(10):1537-48.
- Engagement in the hepatitis C care cascade among homeless Veterans, 2015.
Noska AJ, Belperio PS, Loomis TP, et al. Public Health Rep. 2017 Mar/Apr;132(2):136-139.
- Ledipasvir and sofosbuvir for HCV in patients coinfected with HIV-1
Naggie S, Cooper C, Saag M, et al; ION-4 Investigators. N Engl J Med. 2015 Aug 20;373(8):705-13.
- Daclatasvir plus sofosbuvir for HCV in patients coinfected with HIV-1
Wyles DL, Ruane PJ, Sulkowski MS, et al; ALLY-2 Investigators. N Engl J Med. 2015 Aug 20;373(8):714-25.
- Virologic response following combined ledipasvir and sofosbuvir administration in patients with HCV genotype 1 and HIV co-infection
Osinusi A, Townsend K, Kohli A, et al. JAMA. 2015 Feb 23. doi: 10.1001/jama.2015.1373. [Epub ahead of print]
- Ombitasvir, paritaprevir co-dosed with ritonavir, dasabuvir, and ribavirin for hepatitis C in patients co-infected with HIV-1: a randomized trial
Sulkowski MS, Eron JJ, Wyles D, et al. JAMA. 2015 Feb 23. doi: 10.1001/jama.2015.1328. [Epub ahead of print]
HIV and Aging