for Veterans and the Public
Dry skin is a common condition and may cause itching.
Quick Tips: Dry Skin
- Drink 8 to 12 glasses of water per day.
- Avoid long, hot showers or baths.
- Avoid soaps and skin products that contain alcohols or harsh chemicals.
- Use moisturizing lotion after showers (such as Aquaphor, Absorbase, or Lac-Hydrin).
- Use mild, unscentled laundry detergents and avoid fabric softeners.
- Use petroleum jelly on dry, itchy areas; your provider may recommend other agents to help.
- Use sunscreen.