for Veterans and the Public
Tenofovir alafenamide + emtricitabine (Descovy)
- Type of Drug: Fixed-Dose Combination
- Fixed-dose combinations include several medications in 1 pill.
Bring a printout of this page to discuss with your doctor during your next visit. List your questions at the bottom of the page.
Approved adult dosing
Tenofovir alafenamide 25 mg + emtricitabine 200 mg in a single tablet
one tablet Descovy once a day
Note: Bring a printout of this page to discuss with your doctor during your next visit. List your questions at the bottom of the page.
Notes on taking this medication
- No food restrictions, can take with or without food
- Do not take tenofovir alafenamide + emtricitabine (Descovy) with lamivudine (Epivir) or tenofovir DF (Viread, Truvada)
- Tenofovir alafenamide can interact with other drugs; consult your medical provider
- Persons with kidney problems may need an adjustment to their doses of the component drugs, so may not be able to take this combination pill
Same possible side effects as
- Gassiness; abdominal discomfort; nausea; diarrhea
- Kidney impairment
- Tenofovir alafenamide is active against hepatitis B, and stopping it can cause "flare-up" of hepatitis B
- Skin discoloration (particularly in dark-skinned people)
- Emtricitabine is active against hepatitis B, and stopping it can cause "flare-up" of hepatitis B
See accompanying chart: Tips for Common Side Effects
Disclaimer: This information is not meant to substitute for advice from your medical provider or pharmacist. If you have any questions about your medication dosing, talk to your medical provider or pharmacist.