for Veterans and the Public
Truvada (Viread + Emtriva)
- Type of Drug: Fixed-Dose Combination
- Fixed-dose combinations include several medications in 1 pill.
Bring a printout of this page to discuss with your doctor during your next visit. List your questions at the bottom of the page.
Approved adult dosing
Viread 300 mg + Emtriva 200 mg in a single tablet
one tablet Truvada once a day
Notes on taking this medication
- No food restrictions, can take with or without food
- Do not take Truvada with Epivir
- Persons with kidney problems may need an adjustment to their doses of the component drugs, so may not be able to take this combination pill
Same side effects as
- Gassiness; abdominal discomfort; nausea; diarrhea
- Kidney impairment
- Bone impairment
- Viread is active against hepatitis B, and stopping it can cause "flare-up" of hepatitis B
- Skin discoloration (particularly in dark-skinned people)
- Headache; diarrhea; nausea
- Emtriva is active against hepatitis B, and stopping it can cause "flare-up" of hepatitis B
See accompanying chart: Tips for Common Side Effects
Disclaimer: This information is not meant to substitute for advice from your medical provider or pharmacist. If you have any questions about your medication dosing, talk to your medical provider or pharmacist.