for Veterans and the Public
Atripla (Sustiva + Viread + Emtriva)
- Type of Drug: Fixed-Dose Combination
- Fixed-dose combinations combine the most commonly prescribed doses of 2 or more medications into a single pill.
Bring a printout of this page to discuss with your doctor during your next visit. List your questions at the bottom of the page.
Approved adult dosing
Sustiva 600 mg + Viread 300 mg + Emtriva 200 mg in a single tablet
one tablet Atripla at bedtime
Notes on taking this medication
- Take at bedtime
- Take on an empty stomach
- The Sustiva component interacts with many other drugs; consult your medical provider
- Persons with kidney problems may need an adjustment to their doses of the component drugs, so may not be able to take this combination pill
Same side effects as
- Sleep disturbances such as vivid dreams (improves over the first several weeks); dizziness; drowsiness; mood disturbances, suicidality
- Difficulty with concentration
- Gassiness; abdominal discomfort; nausea; diarrhea
- Kidney impairment
- Bone impairment
- Viread is active against hepatitis B, and stopping it can cause "flare-up" of hepatitis B
- Skin discoloration (particularly in dark-skinned people)
- Emtriva is active against hepatitis B, and stopping it can cause "flare-up" of hepatitis B
See accompanying chart: Tips for Common Side Effects
Disclaimer: This information is not meant to substitute for advice from your medical provider or pharmacist. If you have any questions about your medication dosing, talk to your medical provider or pharmacist.