for Veterans and the Public
Combivir (AZT + Epivir)
- Type of Drug: Fixed-Dose Combination
Fixed-dose combinations combine the most commonly prescribed doses of several medications into 1 pill.
Approved adult dosing
AZT 300 mg + Epivir 150 mg in a single tablet
one tablet Combivir two times a day
Note: Generic formulations are available; these generic pills may have different shapes and colors than the one shown above.
Notes on taking this medication
- No food restrictions, can take with or without food
- Do not take Combivir with Emtriva or Zerit
- Persons with kidney problems may need an adjustment to their doses of the component drugs, and have to take them separately, not as a single pill
Same side effects as
- Nausea; stomach discomfort; headache
- Symptoms of anemia (low red blood cell count): fatigue; shortness of breath
- More rarely: muscle wasting; neutropenia (low white blood cell count)
- Changes in body-fat distribution
- Side effects are rare but include headaches and general sense of feeling ill
- Epivir is active against hepatitis B, and stopping it can cause "flare-up" of hepatitis B
See accompanying chart: Tips for Common Side Effects
My doctor's instructions
Disclaimer: This information is not meant to substitute for advice from your medical provider or pharmacist. If you have any questions about your medication dosing, talk to your medical provider or pharmacist.